The MAJ presents a selection of six paintings created in the 1960s and 1970s by artist Guy Montpetit. These works from the Museum’s collection highlight a pictorial style recognizable by the saturated flat tints of vivid colors that create a distinct iconography on their own. Working mainly with acrylics on large canvases, in order to deliberately favour the public’s reception, the artist paints dynamic yet complex universes in which forms and scales are played out.
Read wall labels
Image in the banner :
Guy Montpetit, No 8, 1974, © SOCAN, courtesy of the artist
Guy Montpetit (1938-) holds a BFA and a specialized education certificate from the École des beaux-arts de Montréal (1964). Among other things, he studied engraving with artist Albert Dumouchel and, between 1962 and 1964, set up visual arts classes at the Institut catholique des Sourds-Muets (now the Institut Raymond-Dewar, or The Raymond Dewar Institute). He then studied at Stanley William Hayter’s Atelier 17 in Paris. From 1969 to 1972, Montpetit chaired the Société des artistes professionnels du Québec. In the 1970s, he participated in the reform of the act on the integration of art in architecture. During the same period, he executed a series of public artworks in Montreal, including a three-dimensional mural for the Maison de Radio-Canada (1972-1973) and a mural in the ventilation tower for the Ville-Marie expressway (1972-1973). In 1976, he produced the integrated art work for the Assomption metro station and took part in Corridart (Arts and Culture Program, Montreal Olympic Games). Very active in his practice and in his community, Montpetit was a founding member and vice-president of the Conseil de la peinture du Québec in 1979. His works are to be found in numerous public and private collections in Canada and abroad. He currently lives in the Laurentian region.